Turning in my EA

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Related topic on Obligations

There obligations for each degree and I have been told and have inferred (I am good at inference or is that interference?) that they build on each other.
Example: One has 'person under' and another one has 'person or persons under'.

Question: Do they indeed build upon each other and are therefore additive or are they more like legs of a stool and add more support with each degree, or yes to both?

Reason for asking: I am sure that they won't contradict each other, so if I were to need to 'talk' to a Brother about a rough spot on their ashlar, I could use the EA obligation (as it is the only one that I know at this point) and not be out of sync somehow. "hey BUT when you have your MM the overriding OB says 'such'".

G

Gary

There obligations for each degree and I have been told and have inferred (I am good at inference or is that interference?) that they build on each other.

Question: Do they indeed build upon each other and are therefore additive or are they more like legs of a stool and add more support with each degree, or yes to both?

Reason for asking: I am sure that they won't contradict each other, so if I were to need to 'talk' to a Brother about a rough spot on their ashlar, I could use the EA obligation (as it is the only one that I know at this point) and not be out of sync somehow. "hey BUT when you have your MM the overriding OB says 'such'".

Yes to both.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
There is no mention of correcting another Mason's "rough spots" in the EA Obligation. You may want to either wait a bit or bring your concern to a Master Mason you trust. The EA and FC degrees are all about learning, not teaching.

This may backfire on you.

G

Gary

There is no mention of correcting another Mason's "rough spots" in the EA Obligation. You may want to either wait a bit or bring your concern to a Master Mason you trust. The EA and FC degrees are all about learning, not teaching.

This may backfire on you.
Oh, Nellie. Ain't that the truth. It's best to follow Windrider's advice on that one.

Even with the best of intentions, it may backfire.

Duncan1574

Oh, Nellie. Ain't that the truth. It's best to follow Windrider's advice on that one.

Even with the best of intentions, it may backfire.
Brothers, Thanks for the sage advice. I ain't got no situation like that, just trying to fit this into my life.

I had a conversation about not judging people by their external labels the other day with a profane, it went well, he show the advantage of that point of view.

DavisB

I turned in my EA

Thought I would add that I turned my EA in on Monday. I think it went well. My mentor was moving pretty fast and at one point he cut me off before I could finish :eek: but the Brothers listening just laughed. I got a "congratulations" from the two Brothers listening so I guess thats a good sign. It was a stated meeting so I didn't stay long afterwards. So I guess I am just waiting for a phone call now??

Also, Monday was the officer installation and the lodge was packed! But I was told it was closed. I overheard another Brother remarking that this was the first installation that he remembered that wasn't open. Is that an uncommon thing to do?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Thought I would add that I turned my EA in on Monday. I think it went well. My mentor was moving pretty fast and at one point he cut me off before I could finish :eek: but the Brothers listening just laughed. I got a "congratulations" from the two Brothers listening so I guess thats a good sign. It was a stated meeting so I didn't stay long afterwards. So I guess I am just waiting for a phone call now??

Also, Monday was the officer installation and the lodge was packed! But I was told it was closed. I overheard another Brother remarking that this was the first installation that he remembered that wasn't open. Is that an uncommon thing to do?
Just because a Mason is coaching you, doesn't mean he's perfect. I cannot count the times I've gotten "lost" and forgotten the next question or where the candidate is, in the catechism! Some of the Brethren probably said something like, "Hmm, did 'short-form' with the candidate, did 'ya, Brother Bob?" after you left!!:D

It's a shame that the Lodge determined to do a closed installation. We've done ours open from Time Immemorial (or at least since 1982, when I affiliated:)) with the other Lodge in town. It's one of the few ceremonies where we can show our work to the public; others being Masonic Funerals, and the rare Cornerstone Laying.

G

Gary

They left you hanging in limbo? The Lodges here send you out of the room, vote on your proficiency and at least bring you back in to tell you if you passed or not.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Just because a Mason is coaching you, doesn't mean he's perfect. I cannot count the times I've gotten "lost" and forgotten the next question or where the candidate is, in the catechism!
This is true , I prompted my coach when he lost his place and I have been prompted once or twice by my candidates when I have lost my place . after a while catechisms and degree lectures start running together in your head .

Duncan1574

Congrats Bro, Was nearly as unnerving as you thought it would be?

The this year's new WM was sitting in the East, he looked down the pew wall (must have got the nod), stated that I would be passed at the next meeting, had to be 'helped' to rap the gavel and then I got a standing O.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
In my jurisdiction in PA, it is not uncommon, in fact it is expected. The installation of officers are conducted in our lodge with only those who have received the word of the chair for the WM. The installation of the WM, all those who are not PM's are asked to retire for a short time. During the installation of the JW, and SW, any MM can stay for those installation, but not FC or EA. You will be able to attend next years installations I have no doubt, but some things are still for MM's in lodge. You will soon have all of the rights and privledges of the lodge, provided you continue your quest and achieve your needed information.
Congrats on passing your proficiency, and continue your journey!

DavisB

Congrats Bro, Was nearly as unnerving as you thought it would be?

The this year's new WM was sitting in the East, he looked down the pew wall (must have got the nod), stated that I would be passed at the next meeting, had to be 'helped' to rap the gavel and then I got a standing O.
No, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It took me 4 meetings with my mentor to be able to turn it in. I just hope the others are about the same.

DavisB

They left you hanging in limbo? The Lodges here send you out of the room, vote on your proficiency and at least bring you back in to tell you if you passed or not.
Yes, they did. I did it before the meeting in a side room that has old aprons, hats, etc. preserved. My mentor reviewed it once with me and then went to "grab the first two guys" he saw and brought them in to listen. Afterwards we stood up, they told me congratulations and we left the room and went in to eat. One of them did mention in front of me to another brother that I have shown "excellent proficiency" but that was it.

G

Gary

Interesting. Here, they make you do it front of the entire Lodge. The brethren then vote on your proficiency.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Interesting. Here, they make you do it front of the entire Lodge. The brethren then vote on your proficiency.
Same as NC, in fact, our Code in Regulation 72-2.8:
8. A candidate shall not be examined in the ante room.

Oh, well, different jurisdictions, different rules.

S&F

Ironhawg

A quick update to my journey. I turned in my FC and it was accepted. I am scheduled to receive my third degree on January 29th.