Why a bad name...

AngelicHuman

for freemasons? Where did it all start?

i was viewing an article that Dr. Ron Paul won the voters summit straw paul, and the first comment i seen was...

51 says:October 8, 2011 at 4:50 pmScrew Herman Cain, I’d sooner vote for Herman Munster. Furthermore, I DEMAND to know if Ron Paul is a Freemason. If he is not- cool. Ron Paul 012. If he is, then we should not support him.IS RON A FREEMASON? Yes or no. We need to know this.Log in to Reply

Other Ron Paul supporters had their issue about the freemasonry subject.
So this guy is saying that the fact that he would be a freemason would change his whole political view of the guy? this doesnt make any sense. thats like getting ready to ask a woman to marry you, and then finding out shes a Mormon, and you hate mormans so instead you decide to break up. Also whats all this "we stuff". We need not to vote for him? people like this really get on my nerves. Oh god...the humanity!

so anyway. where does all this uneducated hate come from?

CoachN

Builder Builder
First off: Your example is political.
Second off: Is there such a thing as 'educated hate?'

FF Sparky

I just did a quick google search and every politician I typed in with the word Freemason came up with a whole list of sites, I even typed in Bart Simpson. I realize your in the circle with Ron Paul, but I don't understand why you are hung up on hi being a Mason, or others thinking he is a Mason. Best I found was his father was one. It shouldn't affect his campaign if he was or wasn't. It will depend on if his opponent is better or worse on views. Not that any back it up.

AngelicHuman

Im not hung up on it. I just want to know where it all comes from. where did all the hate start? and yes. there is such a thing as educated hate. in a sense the facts should be known before you start rambling on about how something is a bad thing. I dont mean to throw in politics. it was just something i noticed when reading an article.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
Point one: Ron Paul was not and is not a Freemason. Who first said he was? No clue.

Point two: If you look at every single male politician, you can find at least one person saying he was or is a Freemason. If you're trying to find the person who started that rumor, you're going to be digging for a long time. You might have better luck figuring out whether the egg or the chicken came first.

Point three: If your question was really about "Where did Freemasons get a bad name from" there is no need to interject politics or politican's, by name or reference.

Point four: There is a difference between "hate" and saying something is a "bad thing". There is no such thing as educated hate.

Last time a political issue was brought up on this site, harmony was lost and so was a brother, so excuse me if I am a little blunt.

AngelicHuman

ok the OP is clearly a question and the Ron Paul talk was clearly the reasoning for my question.

If you read the OP carefully... I am not asking if he is a mason. the op expresses how i feel about the situation, and then i am clearly asking where all the hate came from.

Did some Freemason 300 years ago decide to go crazy one day and make a bad name for the Fraternity? what? I am asking why. if you dont know it or have an idea then why cant anyone just say so? I never asked why they call ron paul a mason in This thread in any way.

All i can see is that the educated hate is a more important subject. sorry...i made a mistake. correct me and move on:(

AngelicHuman

once again...the humanity. who cares about the literary part of it. cant you just say..."gee thats an odd way of explaining it"

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
We are starting off on a fine line right now. Politics are not to be discussed here. If you wish to discuss who is and who is not a Freemason that is fine. If you wish to talk about the question the OP posted so anyway. where does all this uneducated hate come from? Further talk into the politics will result in thread closure and warnings being handed out.

FF Sparky

If you want to know the history of Freemasonry I would pick up a copy of 'Freemasonry for Dummies' I will explain in there where the hate comes from and why CT always follows it.

CoachN

Builder Builder
...Last time a political issue was brought up on this site, harmony was lost and so was a brother, so excuse me if I am a little blunt.
Blunt is good. Please don't excuse it.
ok the OP is clearly a question and the Ron Paul talk was clearly the reasoning for my question.
Douh!
Did some Freemason 300 years ago decide to go crazy one day and make a bad name for the Fraternity?
no... "gee thats an odd way of explaining it"
what? I am asking why. if you dont know it or have an idea then why cant anyone just say so?
No pizza is eaten when sprinkled with the heads of rats.
I never asked why they call ron paul a mason in This thread in any way.
You didn't have to at this point. You appear to be obsessed.
All i can see is that the educated hate is a more important subject.
Once again, please explain educate hate.
sorry...i made a mistake. correct me and move on:(
consider yourself corrected... please move on.. no... really. please do.
once again...the humanity. who cares about the literary part of it. cant you just say..."gee thats an odd way of explaining it"
"gee thats an odd way of explaining it"

BTW - How you package what is delivered is as important as what you deliver. This is called "Rhetoric" and FMs are encouraged to study the subject BEFORE they take it on the road and run people over with it.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Did some Freemason 300 years ago decide to go crazy one day and make a bad name for the Fraternity? what? I am asking why. if you dont know it or have an idea then why cant anyone just say so?(
AH, the opposition to Freemasonry goes back quite a while and comes from so many quarters and for so many reasons that a full explanation here would be quite impossible, or at least, insufficient. We can talk about (and have talked about) why the Catholic Church opposes Masonry (just type Catholic into the forum search engine and you'll get quite an education!). We can talk about (and have talked about) the Leo Taxil scam, which evolved and became the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and (even though it's been debunked) is still circulating. We can talk about (and have talked about) how some churches see the fact that we refuse to name the GAOTU with the name they like to call God as a sin and therefore evil.

What it all comes down to, AH, is that there is no ONE REASON that people oppose Freemasonry, there are several. And some of them make a certain amount of sense (when looked at through the lens of that particular church/group/what have you) and some of them don't seem to make any logical sense whatsoever. And yes, certain individuals (or groups of individuals) hate Freemasonry. Most of our opponents, however, don't hate us, they merely oppose us.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Hate may or may not be backed by excuses and justifications but it is never truly supported by reason. Anything offered to support it should never ignore the light and focus of the fact that it was an ignoring choice on the part of the hater.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Hate may or may not be backed by excuses and justifications but it is never truly supported by reason. Anything offered to support it should never ignore the light and focus of the fact that it was an ignoring choice on the part of the hater.
I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying here, but for the most part I support it. Additionally, we have to look at the imprecision with which most people use our language. Case in point:

I was once in a conversation about comparative religion with friends. (Yes, I am the kind of nerd that has conversations with friends about comparative religion! ;) ) Anyhow, one of the party came out with, "I hate that fat little Buddha". I couldn't let that lie, so examined the statement. As it turns out, she did not 'hate that fat little Buddha', in fact she hated no one. But she had been taught by her religion (Southern Baptist) to fear Buddhism because it was 'evil'. And through that fear, she sought solidarity with her faith by professing hate.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Cats... never try to understand 'em... :rolleyes:
Hey, I try to understand cats ... they help me perpend my catbox. (Oh, btw, rodent brains have an enzyme in them which is necessary for cats to be able to absorb the nutrients from food. Without it, they starve to death with full bellies. Perpend that, Coach.)