MM Topic The song remains the same...

G

Gary

I found a digital copy of the Emulation Ritual for roughly $9 U.S. That's about the cheapest so far.

I may have an option though. My father in-law is British. He has an old Navy buddy (also a Mason) in England who may be able to hook me up with one.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
There are only about 6 Lodges (don't quote me on that, it's a best guess) in the US that presently work in the Emulation Rite as maintained by the Emulation Lodge of instruction on Queen's Street in London. So there isn't such a huge demand. I believe sever Canadian jurisdictions work in it though, so you might be able to get it there. I just provided the link for the company that I and my Lodge do all of our business with.

And no, you do not have to show any Masonic affiliation to order from there. Our ritual is almost completely written out.

And sadly, I only have the one copy. Sorry guys!
It is available on that website.

G

Gary

OK, So I need to get a hold of some older ritual references. Emulation is one, What else may be of use? What is available as far as discussion/debate about the changes made in the U.S.? I want to know WHY it was changed...

It would seem many who join the fraternity these days never even consider that it WAS changed, let alone wonder why. At least that's where I was in my travels until recently.

G

Gary

I have a copy of the Bristol Ritual roughly from the 1930s.
Have you looked through it? What say you of the differences? Is Masonry changing ritual for the better? Is it evolving with the times? or merely changing to make things easier?

G

Gary

For the sake of analysis, Let's rewind a bit...

I dont disagree that he favored masonic education but just wonder why his ideology on the ritual didnt become the norm??? As for the different rituals.... I have read the EC MM ritual and found it to be the same general concept but just different wording.... I am not a ritual scholar but maybe P/W did exactly with their ritual as Pike did with his work.... and write it based on the information available at the time..... BUT I also wonder why the P/W became the norm or a very close version throughout America given the fact that many immigrants may have been raised under the EC ritual prior to their arrival to America.....

This does make a person say hmmmmmmm
I think Pike's vision of where the ritual was going was vastly different than Preston's. Webb supposedly didn't re-write the ritual he just "re-arranged" it.

Since you've read the rituals of the of three degrees, and the "wording was different", have you pondered why it was different? What may seem a subtle change or omission, literally changes the way things are done and the Symbolism behind them. I could give you a prime example here, but I won't violate my OB or the forum rules to do so.

For those who aren't participating in this discussion, I'm not knocking the Preston Webb ritual or any other version out there, I'm just trying to understand why things evolved the way they did, and what it did to our understanding of the Symbols. Specifically, were pertinent Symbols lost in the process, and did the symbolic importance get down played and if so, the reasons why.

Duncan1574

Have you looked through it? What say you of the differences? Is Masonry changing ritual for the better? Is it evolving with the times? or merely changing to make things easier?
There is no dilution of the central message of Freemasonry in this version of the 3 degrees, it is evolving.

The wording is different (aka older form of English), the structure is similar, the intent is the same, the signs, grips, and the 'word's are left out,the penalties for the degrees are the same but are worded stronger, I had no trouble following the ritual, the JW has more work, the WM less. It was a fun read, they have gavel icons for the raps. :)

IMHO: The intention of the 3 degrees rituals are the same to bring a Brother to light.

G

Gary

Personally, I see no problem with ritual evolving to a certain point. Keeping in mind that changing a word, etc., will change it's intent and meaning. Great care should be used when doing so. Lest we lose a valuable lesson in translation to modern day dialect.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I've heard that Ohio has a very "dumbed" down version of the ritual. After seeing AF&AM in Maryland and in Virginia I will say that we are a bit wanting. I do think there are somethings we do a little better, as was agreed to by some of the Brethren there, but that overall Ohio is very simple to master. Plus we have almost everything in a code book that can be purchased for $50.

Duncan1574

For the benefit of those Masons to whom divergence of ritual is not the less distressing that it is understandable, it may be said that most authorities agree that it is really not a matter of great moment. All over the world Freemasonry teaches the same great truths, offers the same spiritual comfort, creates and continues the same fraternal bond. "In non essentials, variety; in essentials, unity" might have been written of Masonry. It matters little how we wear the apron in given degree - so be it that it is worn with honor. The method of giving a sign or a pass matter much less than that what we do is done with understanding. - Ritual Differences

This summarizes it for me.

Winter

I've been here before
Ahhh, But for those of us concerned with the mystical aspects of our Order, the parts that were changed and content omitted become more important. The missing pieces may leave a disharmony in the hidden aspects.

Freemasonry is not merely a group to make men more respectable and society happy. There is a message and knowledge that our ancient brethren were keeping alive and passing on to the next generation of initiates. And when we go monkeying about with the ritual and changing things, are we communicating the same knowledge that was intended?

Duncan1574

Ahhh, But for those of us concerned with the mystical aspects of our Order, the parts that were changed and content omitted become more important. The missing pieces may leave a disharmony in the hidden aspects.

Freemasonry is not merely a group to make men more respectable and society happy. There is a message and knowledge that our ancient brethren were keeping alive and passing on to the next generation of initiates. And when we go monkeying about with the ritual and changing things, are we communicating the same knowledge that was intended?
Even at the time of that piece's writing there was differences in ritual from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. So how far back to do we, as modern day Masons, go in attempts to regain what may or may not have been lost?

By "monkeying about with the ritual" by reverting it back to some given set point of ancient ritual are we doing anything that will strengthen the Brethren? Will it 'help'?

G

Gary

While I understand that Bro. Russ is satisfied, I agree with you 110%. I say let's get to the bottom of the main Monkey Business!

Like I said earlier, even changing a word for the sake of a more modern dialect can adversely affect the meaning & intent of the ritual. Not to mention, the "Lost Symbol"(s)....

After skimming the articles, I'm still left with the question of why some things were omitted. I understand the fusion of Antient and Modern, but I'm still a bit perplexed.

Winter

I've been here before
Even at the time of that piece's writing there was differences in ritual from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. So how far back to do we, as modern day Masons, go in attempts to regain what may or may not have been lost?

By "monkeying about with the ritual" by reverting it back to some given set point of ancient ritual are we doing anything that will strengthen the Brethren? Will it 'help'?
We keep digging and studying and learning. Who knows where it will lead. And research into the hidden mysteries of Freemasonry does nothing BUT strengthen the Brothers. At least those involved in the studying. But at the same time, we will still have members who see the annual fish fry and the $50 scholarship to the local high school as the epitome of Masonic worth to a community.

For the sake of analysis, Let's rewind a bit...

I think Pike's vision of where the ritual was going was vastly different than Preston's. Webb supposedly didn't re-write the ritual he just "re-arranged" it.

Since you've read the rituals of the of three degrees, and the "wording was different", have you pondered why it was different? What may seem a subtle change or omission, literally changes the way things are done and the Symbolism behind them. I could give you a prime example here, but I won't violate my OB or the forum rules to do so.

For those who aren't participating in this discussion, I'm not knocking the Preston Webb ritual or any other version out there, I'm just trying to understand why things evolved the way they did, and what it did to our understanding of the Symbols. Specifically, were pertinent Symbols lost in the process, and did the symbolic importance get down played and if so, the reasons why.
To be honest, no I didnt because at the time I read it (found it online via a German website BTW and it was just the MM)...I wondered why they changed it from what I had read....I dont believe Pike was favoring the Emulation.... if I understand correct, his ritual ideology tilted towards the French.... since he was so much into the Scottish Rite....

CoachN

Builder Builder
...I submit that he not only wanted more ritual, and less business... he wanted more Masons to take a vested interest in explanation of the ritual!
How did you arrive at your belief that he wanted more Ritual?

G

Gary

To be honest, no I didnt because at the time I read it (found it online via a German website BTW and it was just the MM)...I wondered why they changed it from what I had read....I dont believe Pike was favoring the Emulation.... if I understand correct, his ritual ideology tilted towards the French.... since he was so much into the Scottish Rite....
Concerning Pike, Let's presume that he was putting aside his favor of the SR for a moment. His comments that I posted earlier were directed towards Craft Lodge Masonry.

His book Esoterika for example focuses specifically on the three degrees on Freemasonry and their symbolism. I will speculate that the rituals he revised and developed for the SR may have been influenced by what he felt was missing from the evolution of Craft Lodge rituals at that time. I have no proof of this though. From what I've read so far in my studies for the Master Craftsman course, there are a LOT of similarities in the symbolism/ meaning of the rituals.

He expanded upon many of the Craft Lodge principles. Keeping in mind what we have for ritual now is considered of York Rite decent (or is affiliation a more proper word?). At least that's my understanding for my particular jurisdiction.

G

Gary

How did you arrive at your belief that he wanted more Ritual?

From my first quote from Pike. I didn't mean that he wanted more Rituals, I meant that he wanted more substance to be brought forth from the Rituals that were being used at the time. In essence, more focus on what they taught, and discourse among the brethren. He was also dismayed with the fact that the Ritual was being dismantled.

He minces no words in saying that he felt that the so called intelligent Brothers teaching the Ritual, knew little about their meaning and cared not for educating the fraternity. I guess you could say he was calling them parrots. Parrots with no understanding of what it was they were supposedly exemplifying.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it.